SignumGame Community
img src="bi2/misc/nav_search.gif" width="50" height="55" border="0" alt=""/> Members List

Go Back   SignumGame Community > General Game Discussion

Old 07-28-2019, 12:36 AM   #1
ornithologist
Regular Mercenary

Default Deck building tips.

So, it turns out I am just about terrible at building decks. And, as the only player in my local area. its up to me to have fun decks so people will get excited enough to spend money to join me.

So, does anyone have some advice for deck lists that are fun to play?
Old 08-08-2019, 09:38 PM   #2
Balgin
Vallor's Citizen

For starters I'd say just use the decks provided in the core box. I know they aren't legal decks because they contain 10 creatures and 20 non creature cards each. Usually the deck should be half creatures.

The reason for using all of the cards is that you get a chance to play with each of them. None are left out. Play a game or two and see which cards people liked, which ones they didn't, then you can start tweaking the decks.

If you have mercenary creatures try to split them evenly between players so that everybody gets a little bit of something.
Balgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:31 AM   #3
Shkutinho
Lovable Barfly

Yes, Balgin has a correct general idea. The main purpose in deck building at the beginning is to use the most interesting abilities/spells/etc. Then if you are going to create a powerful balanced deck - you should refer to different points.
I will try to show you what I do when creating a good deck. Cannot definitely say that my tip would be the most optimal, but my already created decks eventually turned out to be pretty good and competitive.
I use the following idea to create a deck:

1) Choose your style

I choose my preferred playing style. I.e. my #1 is defensive playing style based on fighting off the opponent's early pressure, control, and counter-attack.
Thus, primarily I have to choose the Hero who will be the best option for that. Among City of Vallor heroes, the first obvious option is Khan'Dir as a heavy dangerous tank (but Thibaut is also not bad in this as he has plenty of useful control skills). If to look through Imperial heroes, my first pick is Pontifex Conrad.

2) Pick the Hero cards

The next step is to choose affiliated with hero cards. For instance, Khan'Dir has powerful personal relics. Pontifex, for his part, has his own "security" Morgen Flagellant who is veeery strong in link with the Hero. Almost in every match I played as Pontifex, Morgen almost everytime made a big impact whether he fought back or attacked.

3) Plan the strategy on the Battlefield

That style of play requires special work on placing terrains on the Battlefield. The most important here is to use 3-4 Rocks in order to isolate the enemy from straight multi-flanks intervention. And when the enemy tries to move his big army through one "between rocks passage" - you can use Magical Spire behind their back to close "the rabbit trap".

If you use rush decks you have to take it into account and try to avoid such traps. I.e. you can prevent it by placing a Forest on the spot earlier than your opponent, use terrain removals, and so on. For Vallor it's preferable to make an attempt to place one of their Ruins near to the opponent's Battlefield side (without giving them the opportunity to use advantages of those Ruins) as characters can travel between empty Ruins and it's an easy way to keep pushing your opponent, reaching his side very quickly.

4) Create an army

While building your army, keep in mind that there are a lot of synergies between class characters (guild/orders) and other characters (for instance forces of praetorians and oronox riders, or undead race). In this, I cannot recommend something in particular as it is all up to a player.

Firstly you should pick some key characters that will be the central figures for your game plan. Take into account their playing cost (3-5 buildings) and then gather additional characters. In general, it's ok when the deck is based on 6-8 buildings.

5) Support cards

As in 4), it's also a bit subjective. Control/Defensive decks should pick removals, heal, and so on. Rush or Midrange decks can pick Strength boost, movement increase and dealing damage cards.

As it stands, we created a lot of decks and archetypes and still, there is no flawless option that will be dominant over other decently created armies. Too many factors are up to tactical skills.

P.S.: once again sorry for taking so long to reply to you as I couldn't figure out some troubles with my account

Last edited by Shkutinho; 08-12-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Shkutinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
Balgin
Vallor's Citizen

Currently my favourite factions are the Order of the Templars and the Militia of Vallor although that may change in time.
Balgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:07 PM   #5
Shkutinho
Lovable Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balgin View Post
Currently my favourite factions are the Order of the Templars and the Militia of Vallor although that may change in time.
I like to play for Militiamen squad. Especially when Boris comes to your Hand during the first turns - those guys are ruthless. He gains +1 Strength for each next summoned militiaman and, on the other hand, gives each of them +2 Armour if their building is in the city zone. With a bit of luck, this synergy is difficult to stand against.
Shkutinho is offline   Reply With Quote